[pct-l] Trail Integrity

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 23:58:44 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <Acu4harmony at aol.com>
> How can we save the integrity of the trail for  future hikers?
> A few people are ruining it for everyone.  What  do you guys think?????

Considering the large number of hikers who are being spoon fed, from water
caches to on-trail instructional clinics, who expect a social theme-park
like "PCT Experience" versus undertaking their own self-sufficient
wilderness hike based upon their own personal experience gathered through
years of backcountry effort, it's not really that surprising that symptoms
such as those being mentioned recently are occuring, and will continue to
occur at an increasing rate. That more people hike and are being encouraged
to hike the trail every year is only exacerbating the problem.

Jon