[pct-l] Trail Proximity to a desperate world (was TrailIntegrity)

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Aug 14 18:37:09 CDT 2006

I don't know how I missed that note -- everyone else saw it and told me I'd missed it.  I was talking to a backcountry ranger near the bridge, so I must not have been looking down.  I'm surprised she missed it, too.  I was also excited to go over that beautiful suspension bridge and was busy taking pictures of it.   I sure hope someone broke down and ate the cookies the note was pointing to.

I saw the feces behind a rock (I somehow chose the same rock to hide behind, pardon the pun) and trash in a firepit near Olancha Peak between Kennedy Meadows and Trail Pass.  Maybe they thought the trash was going to burn, but it didn't.

I picked up lots of flotsam all along the miles I hiked, most of which was not left intentionally/carelessly, but appeared to have fallen out of pockets, off of packs, etc.  Things like wrappers, rubber bands, pieces of plastic, etc.  The strangest finds were a rubber washer -- the kind you use for a garden hose -- and some heavy gauge insulated copper wire.  Those had my imagination going.  The worst stretch I encountered though wasn't on the PCT, it was on the JMT, between the Happy Isles terminus and the Half-Dome trail.  There was so much trash and so many tourons along that stretch it was sad and somewhat spoiled the ending of my otherwise wonderful hike.

L-Rod