[pct-l] Trail Proximity to a desperate world (was Trail Integrity)

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 16:55:00 CDT 2006

Interesting day her on the PCT-I
  Which post today do we reply to first????
  Anyway lets start with the comment below about Deep Creeks mess..Well Pcters may indeed add to the thrash there its really more of a local problem that those of us on this post have little control of.....but the word spray paint caught my eye... i know i was told on a few occasions this year of a PCT hiker signing his name in big black letters in a # of places this year on the trail, kind of dumb cause his is a one-of-a-kind trail name too!!!!!! So for years to come we will all be aware of this persons hiking the PCT....hes needs to be told to go back and remove all the graffiti he placed on the trail. i for one will no longer respect this persons childish actions....

bluebrain at bluebrain.ca wrote:

  Through the sierras we found bear boxes
with people's garbage left in them. Deep creek was a mess of beer cans,
wine boxes and spray paint.

  Philosophy aside, practically speaking ... hmmm, if it's really PCT hikers
leaving a trail of trash in their wake, then maybe the PCT hiking permit
should be more like a PCT hiking license, with required reading and
completion of a test on trail etiquette and maintenance to qualify. At
least no thru-hiker would be able to claim ignorance on these topics.........

  This is not a new problem with hikers thrashing the trail as well as some hotel rooms in trail towns.... doors were slammed shut to thru hikes in 2001 by the actions of some eagle scouts that year...These same guys made it a point to smear graffiti with there names on the CDT last year.

  Going back to Go Bigs post, can't believe i am using anything from him, but he made some valid points about hikers stealing... Unknown to him perhaps, this is not a new problem . We had a hiker stealing money from a hiker in section C at a hostel last year....the Eagle Scouts who were thrown out of a motel at the B of the Gods were lucky as the inn keeper felt they were deprived of their money by these guys. He could have called the local sheriff but instead he just shut the door to other hikers that year..... so because of the actions of these guys other hikers were not allowed to use the motel anymore....

  Having just got the newest PCT rag i was reading an article the late No Way Ray wrote about yours truly... He quotes me as saying" i don't necessarily like all hikers"  "Some people are just takers and that's that" he goes on to say.. To me, over the years i have been hiking and trail angling i have seen some incredible great people on the trail but each year its 2 or 3 hikers who seem to stand out for their bad manners and rude behavior......

  There may indeed be two sides to this Nemo story and time will tell, however going back to Go Bigs post we can see perhaps a kernel of truth to it....if so then its a sorry mess she got herself into....and of her own doing ....

  i can tell you i am proud of Yogis willingness to step up to the plate and shell out $30.....to make amends..... I too over the years have stepped up and covered for other hikers errors!!!!

  i have always tried to tell folks for 8/9 years now its what you do on the trail individually that effects us all collectively......
  Meadow Ed

- Paul, original message from him.