[pct-l] Drakesbad ranch is now closed to PCT hikers

yogi yogihikes at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 14 12:15:58 CDT 2006

Radar:  the original email says:

"PCT hikers are no longer welcome because Nemo decided
to skip out without paying for her meal. (After she
took a shower & used the pool) She claims she didn't
know that she had to pay".

WITHOUT PAYING FOR HER MEAL.  I agree with what you
said about Nemo not being able to defend herself
because she is out hiking, etc.  HOWEVER, food is
NEVER free at a business.  To claim that you THOUGHT
the meal was free is irresponsible.  The only way
anyone could truly state that they thought their meal
was free would be if the person tried to pay and the
proprietor said there was no charge.

The Tahquitz Inn in Idyllwild had problems with hikers
this year, too.  Check out this site for a painful
look at what a group of 2006 hikers has caused:
www.idyllwildpct.com

Drakesbad does not need us.  It is an extremely
expensive place to vacation.  Billie & Ed (Drakesbad
hosts) were trying to offer hikers a nice service.  In
fact, 2006 is the first hiking season during which
Drakesbad offered to hold hiker resupply packages.
I'm guessing that the 2006 season was a test.
Hopefully, Drakesbad will reconsider its policy
regarding PCT hikers.

I sent the following email to Billie & Ed this
morning:

------------------

Hello Billie & Ed!

This morning, I learned that a PCT hiker skipped out
on her bill at Drakesbad, and because of this PCT
hikers are no longer welcome at Drakesbad.  This is
not typical behavior for PCT hikers.  I don't know the
hiker, but I am apologizing for her.  This is not
typical behavior for PCT hikers.  I am sending you a
$30 check today.  I hope that this will cover any
expenses the hiker incurred.

The hiking community is a good one, full of caring,
thoughtful personalities.  I'm so sorry that this one
bad seed has caused a problem for you.

I've heard from MANY hikers this year regarding the
wonderful time they spent at Drakesbad!!  I thru-hiked
in 2003, and the time I spent at Drakesbad was quite
memorable.  The food was terrific, the people were
lovely, and the shower and soak in your pool were a
highlight of my hike.

Please reconsider your policy regarding PCT hikers.
We really are a good group of people!

yogi
aka Jackie McDonnell
author, "Yogi's PCT Handbook"