[pct-l] Pirate Shill

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 14:37:46 CDT 2006

Doc Holiday writes:

These  advertisers know how much weight Switchback pulls on the list, and it
wouldn't  surprise me a bit if the pirate was doing a little moonlighting as a
marketing  shill.

---------------------------
That brings up a good point.   I have not seen my issue of Backpacker
Magazine lately.  Speaking of  marketing, my latest backpacking invention is using
the REI Bug Hut Solo with my  solar umbrella.  I use a piece of spinnaker cloth
with corner  grommets/stakes as a ground sheet to hold my foam down on the
ground.   The reason I do this is the foam is rolled up and needs something to
make  lay flat.  Works great to make a nice insulated comfortable bed.
Basically, all I am doing is putting the foam down first with the ground cloth  over
it.  This method is comfortable and warm at night.

Then I just put the 16 ounce Bug  Hut on top.  No problem.  The umbrella just
slips in at the top of the  Bug Hut where the two poles cross.  Nice.  I only
use the umbrella  with the Bug Hut if I need sun or wind protection.  I do
add a simple  orange cord to tie the handle of the umbrella to one of the Bug
Hut poles in  case of wind blowing the umbrella around.

For a rainfly I use some polycro  with grommets at the bottom and some
Velcro/clips at the other end to hold it to  the Bug Hut poles.  Now I have 360
views even in the rain.  Very  nice.  Very compact and light and simple to use.

I am a big 360 degree view  camper.  I hate tarps and tents, but I hate bugs
too.  Anything that  blocks my views is not a player as far as I am concerned.
 You  might need some privacy sometimes when others are around to change,
etc., but I  can easily go behind a tree or rock.  No problem.

One thing about the above shelter system.  Many times you are not on
perfectly flat ground.  You slide around at night.  I might have to  make a small
modification to my system with some simple grommets.  This  would help keep me
centered on the ground sheet.

Also, I special ordered from REI,  the Sierra Designs Mutts super light down
socks.  I have never seen  anything that keeps feet warm at night in your
shelter like down socks.   Very nice.  I got red color to find them easier.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback the  Trail Pirate
Bed & Breakfast  Backpacker