[pct-l] Ground transportation information needed -- Seattle to Truckee

Rob Langsdorf mctrob at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 01:01:09 CDT 2006

Gutsy's Dan asked about getting from up north to Truckee.

Here is what I found on the Amtrak site:

Departing: Seattle, WA (SEA)  to  Truckee, CA (TRU)

The choice is to take the train to Sacramento and transfer
to a Thruway bus or wait a few hours in Sacramento and take
the train Here is the way they list it:

11 Coast
Starlight Seattle, WA  (SEA) 9:45 am 15-AUG-06
Sacramento, CA  (SAC)        6:15 am 16-AUG-06  20h 30m
3522 Thruway Bus
 Sacramento, CA  (SAC)      10:00 am 16-AUG-06
 Truckee, CA     (TRU)      12:45 pm 16-AUG-06  2h 45m

11 Coast Starlight
 Seattle, WA     (SEA)       9:45 am 15-AUG-06
 Sacramento, CA  (SAC)       6:15 am 16-AUG-06  20h 30m
6 California Zephyr
 Sacramento, CA  (SAC)      11:14 am 16-AUG-06
 Truckee, CA     (TRU)       2:43 pm 16-AUG-06  3h 29m

   Now all you have to do is to figure out how to get from
Manning Park to Seattle.

          Rob

<<<Gutsy wants to complete one more section before
returning to SC--the 140-mile stretch between Sonora Pass
and Truckee, and is considering doing it southbound.  That
would complete the PCT for her.

What's the best way to travel from Manning Park to Soda
Springs/Truckee, CA?  I looked on the Greyhound website and
they have no scheduled stop there.  Will the bus stop on
request?  Would she have to buy a ticket to Reno?  Is
Amtrak train or bus available out of Sacramento?  I looked
at the Amtrak schedule online but couldn't make heads or
tails out of it.  Soda Springs and Truckee appear to be
scheduled stops.  I could have puzzled over it longer, but
decided to consult the experts (ya'll!) first.

Gutsy's Dan