[pct-l] Water situation at Crater Lake?

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 9 23:30:14 CDT 2006

If you're into taking PCT alternates like Sky Lakes here's what I can tell
you.
I haven't been there this year, but I hiked it in 04 and 05, both times in
early September.
Sky Lakes has lots of year round water.  I carried very, very little water.
It's the old PCT or alternate PCT.
I stayed on alternates as much as possible through that section.  The
new/official PCT is more high and dry in comparison.
After Sky Lakes I like crossing over the official PCT to Stuart Falls. I
carry a little more water for climbing over that hump. There's water over
that hump too the last being at Stuart Falls.  Great place to camp. The
next water north from Stuart Falls is pretty much Mazama Village just up
Highway 62 from the trail.  That may be 8 miles total??? Not sure.
North of Crater Lake things are much, much dryer.  I like the alternate
over to Diamond Lake, five miles off the PCT (after you hike north a while
in a very dry area).............. Lots of water (and great pizza at the
south end of the lake.  Can't miss it.  Free hiker/biker camp very nearby.)

Thielson Creek was running strong last September.

I haven't been following PCT fires, so I don't know if they would affect
your hike.

Sky Lakes is one of my favorite parts of the PCT.  Enjoy it.

Warner Springs Monty