[pct-l] Marble Mountain Wilderness :: Sec Q is Closed!! due to fires!!

Terry Norton terry.norton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:40:16 CDT 2006

Hi all from Etna,

This is a from the trail report...

Most hikers are ignoring the closure and going through.  There is a
saw horse across the trail at Etna Summit with the closure notice
posted on it.  The feeling is if the situation were serious, there
would be someone posted at the trailhead.

Several hikers who skipped to Seiad Valley have returned to make up
the section after hearing there were no rangers enforcing the closure.
 (In 1600 miles I have met 1 ranger on the trail!)

Personally, I will hitch up to Seiad Valley tomorrow.  For
job/employment reasons I cannot risk a federal arrest for relatively
trivial reasons.  I just regard Mexico and Canada as being about 57
trail miles closer this year.

NFS resources are focused on fighting fires, not enforcing the
closure. Hikers will definitely need to be self-reliant (as most
thruhikers are!) and be aware that emergency and or rescue services
will not be available. If I were hiking the section I would also go
'cookless.'

Cheers!