[pct-l] Marble Mt Wilderness Closure

Cris CJ5w4WD at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 10:32:20 CDT 2006

On Monday, I was planning a quick de-stress overnighter at Sky High Lakes in
the Marble Mountain Wilderness.  I was told by Klamath USFS that they were
planning on closing the Wilderness as of Tuesday, including the PCT.  Here’s
part of the announcement:
Incident Contact: Jean Gilbertson (530) 598-0065
Incident: Happy Camp Complex Wildfires
Released: 2006-08-02 17:00:00
To ensure public safety during fire suppression activities on the Titus Fire
and Uncles Fire Complex, the Forest Supervisor of the Klamath National
Forest has implemented a temporary closure of the Marble Mountains
Wilderness, and certain roads and campgrounds outside the wilderness
boundary.
The closures will be begin Wednesday, August 2, 2006, and will be in effect
until the wildfires in the area are fully suppressed.
My contact said they will be placing signs and plan on transporting PCT thru
hikers to Seiad Valley.  Not sure of the details at this point.  We ended up
at Deadfall Lakes but did not run into any NOBO's.  Good luck everyone.  I
would be happy to help anyone get around this.

Cris

mountains don't tolerate fools....