[pct-l] Marble Mountain Wilderness :: Sec Q is Closed!! due to fires!!

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Wed Aug 2 18:54:55 CDT 2006

PCT Hikers!
I just received breaking news at work *USFS* today, that the Marble Mtn
Wilderness is closed to hiker use due to fires, that are mostly many many
miles away. The Forest Supervisor made this decision, based upon wilderness
user safety. I believe it is a very very overboard decision, but the law is
in effect now. SO in essence, the PCT is closed thru the Marble Mtn
Wilderness as of Aug 2! until the fires are extinguished, which could be
months away...... stay tuned for updates.. This is Section Q of the PCT, and
there are no reasonable road/trail routes around it.

This is such breaking news that it isn't even posted on the Klamath NF
website yet.. My heart goes out to the PCT 2006 Thruhikers that are just
approaching this incredibly beautiful, (and personal,) stretch of the PCT,
and may not get to hike it due to the stroke of a pen..

http://inciweb.org/forest/21/
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/klamath/

This decision raises many questions: Is the wilderness user's safety
guaranteed by the Klamath Forest Supervisor when it isn't closed??  I've
never heard of a whole wilderness being closed, even the areas that are so
far away as to not be affected by the fire zones..