[pct-l] Fires in Marble Mountain Wilderness

Cris CJ5w4WD at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 1 22:48:09 CDT 2006

On Monday, I was planning a quick de-stress overnight at Sky High Lakes in
the Marble Mountain Wilderness.  I was told by Klammath USFS that they were
planning on closing the Wilderness as of Tuesday, including the PCT.  A good
contact is John Zapell (530) 841-4485, who was much more informative than
anyone in the Ft Jones office.  He said they will be placing signs and plan
on transporting PCT thru hikers.  Not sure of the details at this point.  We
ended up at Deadfall Lakes but did not run into any NOBO's.  Good luck
everyone.

As of yesterday there were 30 +/- fires within just the Shasta-Trinity NF.

The wonderful northern CA town of Weaverville (off of Hwy.299 and the
beginning of Hwy. 3) is being hit: at least one home and a restaurant were
burnt to the ground.