[pct-l] Starting the PCT

Matt Geis mgeis at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 13:22:36 CDT 2006

In my opinion, a good starting point is the sheet metal fence on the border between the United States and Mexico, just south of Campo.  Worked for me, and it seems to have worked well as a starting point for hundreds of others. :)  It's conveniently close to the kickoff too!

As for the kickoff, I do not believe they cut off reservations for thru-hikers.  In recent years the amount of campsites has been completely used up, but I've never seen nor heard of a limit on thru-hikers.  Believe me, if such a thing happens, you'll see a whirlwind of email on this list to rival all the debates about dogs, ice axes, and trail signage combined.

Iron Chef

Message: 7